This model turned out to look really easy but be more of a pain than I thought it would be. For one thing, the mold channels go into areas that are exposed flat areas of the back of the craft so a ton of filing needs to be done so it looks right. They also were a pain to cut off since they were so think. A dremel works but it makes a big mess (even using a vacuum).
As I mentioned a few weeks ago (and detailed in this post) I mounted the model using a Secret Weapon Miniatures base and flying stand. After that was done I began the assembly process. I spent a few hours every few days over about two weeks. It wasn't the hardest project I've done though it turned out to be more intensive than I thought looking at the pieces.
The first thing to do was to start filing down the model so the engines could fit on the back. As you can see from the below picture quite a bit of file work was needed to make the housings and four engines fit.
A clamp was super helpful to ensure that the housing sat flush with the not exactly flat surface I filed down.
After a lot of dry fitting and filing I was able to get all four engines and their mounts installed.
Like all Forgeworld models some of the pieces were warped. For this model it wasn't too bad, it really was only the Railguns. Some hot water got them most of the way there.
I tried to use a mallet to gently push the assembly back out but this ended up just damaging the back of the cockpit assembly. Luckily this part will end up being covered, though it was hugely frustrating, to say the least. After realizing it wouldn't budge I figured an overnight soak in Simple Green would be the only way to get it out, by breaking up the glue. I didn't want to redo the entire model, so I managed to MacGyver a setup that only soaked the needed area. Sure enough, after about 24 hours, with a little prying, it popped right out and I could get back to assembly.