Tuesday, June 19, 2012

6th Edition Warhammer 40k Rulebook - Collector's edition or regular?

The details haven't leaked yet, though we know from all of the pricing info out there we know a collector's edition of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook will be released next week. Even though it's not what I am most looking forward to this summer, it is hard not to look forward to picking up a copy of the new rules.  I'm usually a sucker for these types of things as I really like books and have a bit of a collecting bug.  These are not traits you want to have in a war gamer.  My model collection gets thinned out fairly regularly, but I still have 2nd edition codexs on my book shelves.

I went back and forth trying to decide and I went ahead and pre-ordered a collector's edition  from Frontline Gaming yesterday.  I decided that as much as I put into this hobby spending an extra $50 on a nicer version of the rulebook made sense for me.  The question is, should you pick up a copy?  If any of the below applies to you, you may want to consider it.

  • It's a pretty limited edition.  Frontline told me since I was fourth in line, I may not even get a copy as Games Workshop is telling their resellers quantities are very limited.  This could be a line of horse manure to drum up sales, we'll see. 
  • The value.  While expensive I would guess that it would hold it's value pretty well.  This factor is always a thought in the back of my mind with hobby investments. I consider that if a purchase ends of being a mistake, how much will it cost me between what it would sell for and what I paid.
  • The cool factor.   This thing should be a pretty nice lookin' book on your shelf.  This is the sixth edition of their flagship product and coincides with it's 25th anniversary so I would hope Games Workshop would do it it justice.

I don't know if it's worth it to everyone.  If you had to pick between models for your army that you needed to win games or spending money on a a prettier version of  the rulebook, which most likely will sit on a shelf once the mini books are available, I would most likely go for the models.   If you are like me and you have the collecting bug as well as enjoy having this kind of stuff sitting on the shelf you may want to pull the trigger.

0 comments:

Post a Comment