Friday, September 19, 2014

Seattle Seahawk themed Imperial Knight for Celesticon 2014

Being a football fan and a war gamer are two hobbies that don't often collide.  While trying to pick a color scheme for an Imperial Knight I was painting up for an event at Celesticon 2014 I realized I could use a certain team I am somewhat of a supporter of and take a rare opportunity for my two favorite hobbies to meet in an unholy union.

While most of my gamer friends may not realize this, being a fan of an out of market team can either be frustrating or fun.  My wife, who is a a Saints fan, another out of market team, tends to get upset at all of the ribbing she gets from local fans.  I, on the other hand, go a different route and tend to have a lot of fan displaying my fandom for the Seattle Seahawks to those that might not be the biggest fans of my favorite team.   The Seahawks being rivals to the local team can be fun at times.

First off, the final result.

My first task was to do some color matching.  I'm not a huge fan of mixing my own colors so I picked up a bunch of different blues and greens to match to my favorite Jersey.  After some test swatches, I got the colors I wanted.  One from the Citadel paint line and one from the P3 line.  The green still didn't "pop" as much as I wanted it too though it was pretty close.  The Blue was pretty spot on.

After settling on colors I started the build and paint job.  For the body I mostly followed the Games Workshop painting tutorial posted on YouTube.

Most of the way through.  I decided to try out the crackle paint that GW is making, mostly because I didn't have enough time to do anything more detailed.  This was the day before the convention so I needed to wrap it up pretty quickly.  I also decided to add some details to the base painting in a certain local team's colors. 

 The night before the event I spent a few hours in my hotel room adding decals.  

On with some finished photos.

As a side note, this was actually the second Knight I had painted up in this scheme.  I had a horrible problem with some matte spray, that I was later to find out was because the can had been left in a cold garage, that sprayed texture all over the model and ruined it.  The green knight/brown in the pictures is actually this knight having be repainted.

Here is a picture of the first version of the Knight, that had to be repainted because it was ruined.


Post a Comment