Monday, December 20, 2010

Successful Run

I had a great weekend of gaming, and most of it was filled with 40k.  I had found out mid last week that one of the local GW stores was doing an 1850.   I had scrambled on Saturday to finish up some conversions to get the Hydra conversions as well as the 2nd Manticore finished in time. 

Sunday morning I was packing up and realized I had forgotten to finish the weapons on the Valkyries (I had planned to magnetize them) and I hastily put them together, as well as a medic for my command squad.  I also decided that my Company Commander hadn't "gotten it done" in my last two games, so I built another one and demoted the model to platoon commander.  I couldn't just shoot the guy, his brother-in-law is a Commissar.  It would have made Thanksgivings awkward for a while.

I arrived at the time I was supposed to, and shockingly I was the first one there.   Even though I have gamed for almost 15 years the idea of "gamer time" has never ceased to annoy me.   The store manager had put together some original scenarios, all based on Arnold movies.  As he is our Governor and only has a few weeks left in office, it was his idea to pay tribute to him.  I normally hate wonky scenarios, I'd rather play straight up missions out of the book, but it made the games a bit more of a challenge and weren't that hard to understand.   Usually overly complicated scenarios are the most annoying part of playing in tournaments to me.

My first game I played against a very nice player who was running Tyranids.  He had a quasi-nidzilla list, but with genestealers list.  The mission we had played had an option to pick a few different objectives, so I went for kill points and killing the enemy commander.  The deployment worked in my favor, though there was some terrain in the middle for some of his creatures to hide behind.  At first I thought this would work against me, but he had hidden behind the building trying to avoid all of my direct fire.  This made a nice target for my barrage weapons and I was able to kill his harpy, take down a hive guard unit by a model and start wounding his swarmlord off the bat. 

The game went as you would expect, he came at me, and I shot a lot.  It got exciting when some of his genestealers deployed off a piece of terrain near me and ate my Company Commander and a Lascannon team way quick.  I wasn't too worried as I had my chimeras with flamers nearby and the next turn I roasted them before they could do anymore damage.  A drop pod full of warriors in my line made the mistake of dropping next to my vets, and some meltaguns with multi laser fire finished them off.   Overall it was a really fun game for me, though my opponent wasn't able to get much done.  The terrain was way too sparse for it to be anything but a shooting gallery.

Second game was against a friend of mine who runs a nasty Thunderwolf Cav/Wolf Lords with M. Launchers List.  The game was capture and control.  He made one mistake with his placement of his objective too far from his troops.   I concentrated most of my firepower on his thunderwolves, got lucky with taking out a few of his lords and troops on the first few turns and spent the rest of the game trying to kill two lords in my lines.  One of them went down by concentrated Hydra fire, the other one never did die.   I was able to outflank 2 Valkyries into his lines, one with some vets and I was able to hold his objective.  The game ended with me with both objectives.  To be perfectly honest other then my lacannon teams not doing squat I had a lot go right for me in that game.

My last game was the quickest.  I was matched against someone else I knew very well, a Dark Eldar player that I've known for quite some time.  I even bought his soul once.  Lost the receipt though.  It was a dawn of war objective mission.  With our armies, the missions didn't really matter.  We both have alpha strike shooty armies for the most part, so all that mattered was who went first was who would win.   We both knew it, and even joked about it.  I won the dice roll and halfway through the fourth turn ( really only the second turn we played, as dawn of war tends to be) we just called it.   The manticores and massed multilaser fire, if they are allowed to work for a few turns, tear up dark eldar.   

It was only a 10 player tournament at a local store but it was nice to get three games in and run the list.  The second game I was pretty happy about winning, his list is tough and he plays way more then I do.  The third game was simply a matter of who got first turn, I can't be too excited.  If he had won he would of destroyed me just as quick.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment