Friday, April 1, 2011

Popping my Cherry

Most people who have played 40k as long as I have (more then 5 years on and off) know and understand how important it is to pin their models.   Some models are just so heavy, it is the only way to get them to go together and stay together.  My dirty gaming secret is that I never learned, thinking it was kind of a hassle and just suffered through broken limbs and holding models for an eternity in strange positions while glue dried.

I had planned on continuning the Valkyrie project but the hobby shop didn't have the foam cutter I needed, so I sat down and thought about what I wanted to work on.  I have a decent amount of stuff to paint but I really wanted to model.  I enjoy the modeling part a lot more then the painting of this hobby.   I've been secretly holding a candle for the Tau for a long time, and while I've been resisiting the urge to pick them up until a new codex drops I've been thinking of collecting a few to sate my wandering collecting urges. 

I'd converted a Broadside a while ago and it was the only Tau model I had kept when I had sold off the last army I collected.   He had broken in many pieces so I decided tonight was the night I would put him together.  While starting I decided to give pinning a shot.  I have the tools/pins and just hadn't ever had the urge to try.

Below is the model in pieces.  I put the suit back on the legs, but decided to pin the arms, as they were so heavy. 

 I drilled out the arms as well.

Then I put the pins in and started to assemble the arms.
I decided to pin the feet as well.  I broke them off, and put pins in the legs.  It was a bit tricky, as they were at funky angles.  Some of the pin is showing, but I think it will be okay.
All done. It was much easier then I thought it would be, and I'm sure this model will be able to stand up to the rigors of the modern battlefield much better then unpinned.


Post a Comment