Monday, September 10, 2012

Camouflage patterns done easy - Imperial Guard Manticore

I wanted to try and see how easy it would be to do a camouflage pattern on a tank, I had done it with my airbrush and masking and I was curious if I could do it with regular spray paint.  I had an extra manticore from a barter I did last year for some Imperial Guard in exchange for selling a hobby collection that I had no use for.  The tank was more than happy to volunteer for the job.  I decided to go with what I had on hand, black, grey and white primer.  What could be simpler?

I started with a black primer, as I had primed it this color in anticipating of painting them for an event that I took a different army too last year.  I would have preferred to do this backwards, start white and work my way back, but it ended up working fine.  All of the colors I used in this are Krylon primers.  I really like this line of paint for priming as it covers well, doesn't gunk up, it's inexpensive (around 5 or 6 dollars a can) and has a great spray head that works in a flat fan pattern, not a cone. 

I masked off the tank using 3M painters tape.

 After masking, I sprayed with the gray primer to add gray stripes.
 The gray stripes came out great, and the tape worked perfect.  Didn't pull any of the undercoat off.

 Another masking was done for the third color, white.
 I was way happy with the results.

I spent some time weathering the model after this and it brought the white down.  You can tell in this picture that the three colors are way too different, and it's a bit distracting.  The weathering helped unify the model.

I'm still not done, but I think I've got a good start towards a great model that I didn't spend much time on.  I think I've spent about 30 minutes of actual work up to this point.  It's not going to win any awards though if I need something on the table quickly this could work. 


Post a Comment