Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Sweet Spot

This is one of my rambling posts....you've been warned.

I've been having one of "those" weeks this week. My car is in the shop, my three year old Ford is deciding it wants to live up the acronyms and the manufacturer is of course living up to it's reputation. Work has been busy, big deals won't quite close, customers are being their typical difficult self, and just generally being frustrating.

The only bright side of the week is I got in some 40k on a weeknight.  I'm sure that if you are reading this and laughing, you live in what I call the "sweet spot" part of your life as a gamer. Don't laugh too much, this will be you in a few years.  But there is good news that goes with the more limited time to play.

When you first start out playing games (be it 40k, RPGs, TCGs or Board Games) most likely you start in high school. Your gaming is limited mostly by lack of funds, or extracurricular activities, studies etc.  When you get to be my age you may have the funds, but not the time to play as much as you'd like.  My son has a swimming meet, or I want to hang out with my Wife, etc.  The sweet spot is that time when you are out on your own for the first time and have no one (outside of your job) dictating when you can play 40k.  I used to play pick up games all the time on random weeknights when a friend would call, or would just be at my house and we'd decide it sounded like fun. Playing till 3am was the norm, not the outlier in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I love being in the place in my life I am in now.  I'm not one of those people that whines about being a family man and how it "keeps them down".  These people are morons and forgot how much living with a bunch of sweaty guys in their twenties sucks.

There is a huge benefit to being where I am.  You  appreciate the games that you play much more.  Going to a tournament is an event, or an impromptu pick up game is much more enjoyable when it isn't a nightly occurrence.

1 comment:

  1. I agree man. I wouldn't say living with a bunch of dudes in your 20s necessarily sucks though, it has its ups :)

    ReplyDelete