Monday, March 26, 2012

New Games Workshop Paint Line - First Impressions

I headed down to my local Games Workshop store to see the new paints on Saturday.  They had set up some painting stations with a small sampling of the new paint line so you could get a taste for how they worked.  Any local Games Workshop store should have them moving forward to try, though from what I have heard once they run out they will not have more for folks to try.

I didn't actually put brush to model, but I spent some time checking out what others did and getting opinions on the paints from my betters.  I am a firm believer in the engineering rule, why invent something when you can look it up, so for me the verdict is out and I'll wait until what I hear from the experts.  I did have some impressions.



The biggest change is it looks like you won't need to thin down your paint much at all.  The paint flows much better, and the new washes, what they call shades, seem to flow into cracks and not pool as much as the old washes did.  The base line is much more extensive as well.

The dry stuff, was interesting.  I have moved away from drybrushing, so I don't know how much use I will get out of it, but it may really help those that use it significantly in their painting.  This stuff has the consistency of a paste, almost like spackle. 


 This was a "dry" metallic.
While some of the advanced painters may not see a huge benefit to these changes, what I see is how Games Workshop has made it much "easier" to get better looking models on the table, and that's a win for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the new paints I particularly enjoy the new 'texture' paints for basing models as i have trouble in this area.... nice review man :)

    ReplyDelete