Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How I got lucky with 6th edition Warhammer 40k - Allies

I ended up deciding to purge most of my 40k armies a few months ago leaving me with only my Space Wolves and Imperial Guard armies.   One of the rumors we are hearing is that allies are in this next edition.  Most of us who have been around the block remember a few editions ago how you could make some interesting combinations of lists, using allies.  It did help spice up the fluffy side, especially for the imperials.  

I ended up keeping two of the armies that can work together, so right from day one I should be able to try out some interesting combinations.  One of my concerns with 6th edition is how assault may get a bit nastier and vehicles may lose a lot of survivability with the advent of "hull points".  These two could weaken my imperial guard but a splashing of wolves could at least help with the turn 2 orks in my lines.

I think this change may have some interesting consequences for competitive play, good or bad, but it does seem to be a positive change for the garage hammer minded players.  Games Workshop has never really cared about the competitive scene, only selling models.  This should help them move a few more boxes of plastic toy soldiers.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is the chart of allies from a Warhammer world event in May.  Could be a guide on who can work with who.

 Image from Apocalypse 40k.

0 comments:

Post a Comment