Monday, October 10, 2011

Dreadfleet review and first two scenarios with pictures

Learning Dreadfleet wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The rules are not as clear as I think they should be for a single box game as this.  However, I did have a great time.

I would first like to state this game is getting, in this blogger's opinion, a vastly unfair treatment in the blogosphere.  This game, while pricey is a lot of fun.  It captures the fun of Battlefleet Gothic and the tactics of any good ship game with a fantastic set of models.  My only complaint so far about Dreadfleet is the price, but I've come to terms (read as rationalize) the price based on how I view the game.  If I think of it as a board game the price is quite excessive.   If I look at it as a miniatures game (which it really is, the ships are not tokens or cardboard, but high quality sculpted plastic) at $115 it is a steal.  I've spent more then that on units in my 40k armies. 

I had a chance to play two games this weekend with a friend who picked it up.  We actually played with his copy as I haven't assembled mine as I play to paint most of it on the sprues.  He usually doesn't paint his stuff so he put his set together straight away.   It was nice having two rulebooks and two rulers to play with.  GW should really have released these items separately to make it easier to play.  I do have some concerns if I break the ruler, as you need it for checking angles this could be a real problem. 

We played a few games on a  Sunday afternoon, playing through the first two missions.  As it was a learning experience it took about three hours, to play both missions.  We spent most of the time learning the rules as we played.

Here are some pictures of the games we played.

I used the Bloody Reaver for both games.  The first scenario is simply a "damage" your opponent to test your strength scenario.

 The Bloody Reaver eyes it's prey.

 A sea monster pops up, placed by opponent, right in my path.
 Another Sea Monster?  I am starting to hate fate cards.
 I got away from the Sea Monsters using the Blood Reaver's captain's ability to control one, I made it so they had to fight each other instead of me.
 Some careful moving I was able to get behind my opponent and rake them, twice.

 I didn't quite make my turn, so I was on a course for the rocks, but my opponent was on the ropes so I just kept shooting at him and even though I would have hit the rocks the game ended.


 The next scenario was one with two ships on a side, adding in two medium strength ships and some unique mechanics.  In this one, the Grand Alliance has a ship in the middle that is stuck and you have to destroy an emplacement to free it.  Then the ship has to get off the board to win, in six turns or the Dreadfleet wins.
 I was able to assault it once, but even with 7 crew I only did one damage...
 He got away and moved his flagship into position to broadside the reaver.


 Luckily I was able to get one more charge off to hold onto him and he got stuck on some rocks after this turn, so the Dreadfleet was once again victorious.
We both had a lot of fun.  It is obvious to see the difference in how the fleets play and I am looking forward to trying a few more games now that we got a good basic understanding of the rules. Now I just have to paint my fleet...






0 comments:

Post a Comment